What is Craniosacral Therapy?
What is Craniosacral therapy or CST?
Craniosacral therapy (or CST) is a very gentle, hands-on body therapy which is suitable for all ages. It is deeply relaxing and helps the client to release tensions - whether they are mental, physical, emotional or spiritual.
What does a CST session involve?
First of all, I will take a case history, listening to you with care about what you are bringing to the session. You will then be asked to lie fully-clothed on a treatment couch, with a soft blanket over you, ensuring your comfort. If you are unable to lie flat, you can be on your side, or in a chair. In the treatment session you will find yourself relaxing while I make gentle hand contacts on your feet, base of the spine, head and other areas as necessary. Craniosacral Therapy sessions usually last for an hour, though this can vary.
What will I experience during a session?
This varies from person to person, but common experiences are feeling deeply relaxed and at peace; a sense of letting go, with sensations of warmth/cold or tingling. Some people see colours or images in their sessions or may have memories of past events. Clients have also reported feeling more connected to a higher vibrational frequency as well as to themselves. Many clients feel so relaxed that they may fall asleep, or move in and out of a light sleep, which is quite normal - as is some tummy gurgling as the nervous system goes from 'fight or flight mode' to 'rest and digest', which is a wonderful sign!
How many sessions are recommended?
To fully benefit from craniosacral therapy, you may need more than one or two sessions, although improvements can be felt after just one. We can decide together how many sessions will be best for you.
Is CST suitable for adults and children?
As Craniosacral Therapy is so gentle and non-invasive, it is suitable for all ages, from newborn babies upwards.
If I have a medical problem can CST help?
CST is not intended as primary health-care, but to work alongside the care you receive from your doctor. If you have a particular medical concern I would recommend that you consult your GP first.
What kind of things do people come for when having CST?
- People come for relief from stress and anxiety and emotional pain as well as for physical aches and pains.
- I see babies who need to release birth shock from their bodies, to be able to settle better. CST helps to release these tensions and so calms their digestive system, enabling the baby to be more relaxed and able to sleep.
- Children who are unsettled and find it hard to relax find treatments very helpful.
- Some clients come to experience a more spiritual connection in a session.
- Because CST works with the whole person and assists the body in its self-healing, it can be helpful for any symptom or problem. Please get in touch if you'd like to discuss how it could help you.